Saturday 17 March 2012

Filter Graph

This morning I threw together an implementation of some of the ideas I mentioned in the last few posts for a filter/processing graph and checked them into socles.

I had a pretty good result applying the same ideas to my work stuff and I want to eventually use them elsewhere and experiment as well. The main thing I'm trying to resolve is the memory management and scheduling issues. Well I guess the other thing which is also pretty `main' is that by having a component framework it is easier to encapsulate functionality into re-usable connectible parts: i.e. less code, more functionality.

At the moment I have a dummy graph executor (it executes jobs in the right order, but not with any event management), and I still need to play with the queuing. But simple examples work because it's always using the same queue, and the climage-to-java-image conversion is necessarily synchronous. If I get it all working right, separating the graph execution from the nodes will allow me to try out different ideas - e.g. multiple queues, even multiple devices(?) without having to change the underlying code.

Actually one of the biggest hassles was attempting to support Java2D images as much as possible. I've tried to ensure images never lose any bits, although they may need format conversion (e.g. there are no 3-channelx8 bit image formats). I haven't tested all the formats as yet so quite likely the channel orderings are broken for the colour images (it's usually easier to just run it and tweak it till it works rather than try to grok all the endian-ness issues and ordering nomenclature of every library involved). I've got a feeling it was a bit of overkill - Greyscale/RGBA, UNORM_INT8/FLOAT are probably the only formats one really needs to handle at this level. Given that there are efficiency issues, it may be that I throw some of the code away so they can be addressed with less work.

Anyway, a simple example shows that even at this stage it can be used to create useful code: SimpleFilter.java. (at this stage it's not doing resource management, but most of the skeleton is there to handle it).

Eventually I want to be able to do similar things with video sequences (via jjmpeg).

(To what end? Who knows?)

No comments: