Saturday 11 January 2014

dead miele washing machine

Blah, washing machine blew up this morning. Novotronic W310, cost $1 900, bought Feb 2004.

During a spin cycle it started making very loud grinding noise and after turning it off and opening it up the drum had a really hot spot near the rim and a bit of a burnt rubber smell. Lucky I was home and it didn't catch fire. I was only washing a few t-shirts, shorts, undies, and my cycling shit.

Despite stating that the drum wont turn freely and that it rotates off-centre the service centre claims they can't tell if it will require major repair (it could only be a bearing, and that is a major repair) and still wants $200 for someone to come and have a look at it. Redeemable if i buy another one. I guess I got 5 weeks shy of 10 years out of it so I can't complain too much - then again being a male living alone for most of that time it hardly got much of a work-out either, so i'm not terribly inclined to buy another miele at the premium they charge here.

I guess i'll think about it over the weekend.

Washing machines aren't exactly a high priority item for a single male, but I don't want to have to deal with replacing broken shit either.

No comments: